Anyone who’s spent time around teenagers undoubtedly marvels at their ludicrously capacious ability to find, consume, and move on from online sensations. Indeed, social media produces trends more prolifically than Taylor Swift puts out albums.
But for B2B companies, it’s crucial to understand that being active on social media isn’t about chasing every viral trend. Instead, the true power of social lies in strategically participating in conversations and fostering a robust, engaged community.
Businesses constantly seek innovative ways to engage audiences and amplify their messaging. Because of this, the buzz of the latest social media trend can be tempting. However, the fleeting nature of trends can result in a short-lived boost that fizzles out quickly. Moreover, hopping on every trend can lead to diluted brand identity and risk coming off as inauthentic, disengaged, or merely riding the hype.
Instead, B2B companies should focus on building an engaged community around their brand and products. Community-building fosters meaningful connections and establishes a two-way dialogue with your audience. It’s about offering valuable content and insight.
This long-term strategy will provide sustained engagement, drive loyalty, and boost the brand’s reputation.
Stay Aware of What’s Current
Even while emphasizing community-building, it’s essential not to ignore social media trends entirely.
Online trends are a barometer of public interest, helping you stay aware of the larger cultural conversation. But rather than immediately jumping on board the hype train, analyze whether a particular trend aligns with your brand’s voice and message. Ask yourself, “Does this trend offer an opportunity to engage meaningfully with my community?” If the answer is yes, then, by all means, participate.
When you engage with a trend, it’s essential to remain authentic to your brand. Keep your brand’s personality, voice, and mission at the forefront. Joining the conversation should be about adding value, whether that’s through sharing expert insight, offering a unique perspective, or providing resources.
How B2B Brands Can Leverage Trends
Whether or not your B2B brand decides to participate in a particular social media trend, trends can help you connect with your audience and build a robust community.
- Create Relevant Content. Use trends to guide your content, ensuring it’s relevant and interesting to your audience. This shows you’re in touch with current conversations and can provide valuable insight on topics that matter to them.
- Personalize Engagement. Leverage social media trends to personalize your communication with your audience. For instance, if a specific topic is trending in your industry, address it directly with your followers, asking for their opinions or sharing your organization’s viewpoint.
- Align With Brand Values. Choose trends that align with your brand values and mission. Engaging with trends that reflect your brand’s ethos helps reinforce your identity and demonstrate authenticity to your audience.
- Boost Visibility Through Collaboration. Trends often bring attention to influencers or other businesses within your industry. Collaborate with these trendsetters on shared content or discussions, increasing your brand’s visibility and establishing meaningful connections.
- Utilize Trending Hashtags. When relevant, use trending hashtags in your social media posts. This increases the likelihood of reaching a broader audience who are following or interested in that trend, helping to establish new connections and expand your community.
B2B brands should be aware of social media trends—but they should also approach them judiciously. While trends offer opportunities for exposure and engagement, it’s important to remember that your focus should be on long-term community building.
This strategy will help build a loyal audience, strengthen your brand identity, and ultimately support your business’s growth. It’s not about chasing every shiny new trend—it’s about being a consistent, valuable, and engaging part of the conversation.
Steady, consistent engagement wins on social media. And it also helps your business build a dedicated community that will champion your brand in the long run. So, keep your eyes on the trends, but your heart with your community.
Want to have a conversation about social media? Let’s talk.