Tools like ChatGPT are dominating the headlines these days. There is a robust debate about natural language processing (NLP) and its place in daily life. But the reality on the ground for B2B marketers is that AI is here, and it’s already being deployed.
Naturally, artificial intelligence can lead to anxiety, especially when you work in an area that may be disrupted. This includes those of us who regularly create B2B marketing content.
ChatGPT and otherAI-powered writing tools indeed produce human-like results. But that doesn’t mean that content creators should resist these tools. In fact, the best B2B marketers will find ways to leverage them.
It’s not a new phenomenon. Technology has always been integral to communication, from papyrus to the printing press. Electronic word processors emerged around the late 1960s, and digital technology has played a role in writing ever since.
That role has grown over the years. Whether it’s spell check or Grammarly, every writer relies on some form of computer-aided content creation. The new NLP chatbots represent a leap forward in assistive technology. But they are just the latest in a line of innovations that make communication easier.
Let’s take a look at how these AI content-creation tools work.
How AI Generates Content
- Data input. The content generation process begins by providing the AI algorithm with input data like keywords, topic ideas, target audience, desired tone, and other parameters. This data helps the AI understand the context and requirements for the content.
- Language modeling. AI algorithms are trained on vast datasets. These datasets include text from various sources, like websites, books, and articles. This training enables the AI to understand language structure, grammar, and context. That’s how these tools are able to generate human-like text based on the input data.
- Natural language processing. NLP techniques are used to analyze, understand, and manipulate human language. AI content generation tools leverage NLP to identify relevant keywords and maintain proper grammar and syntax. This enables the algorithm to output contextually appropriate content. The output may be complete articles, paragraphs, or sentences, depending on the specific use case and requirements.
- Content optimization. Many AI content generation tools also offer content optimization features. These may include keyword density control, SEO optimization, and readability analysis. These features ensure that the generated content is effective and aligns with best practices.
The AI Advantage
So, how can B2B marketers take full advantage of AI content creation? Let’s start with what AI brings to the table.
- Improved efficiency. AI-powered content creation tools generate high-quality content quickly, saving time and resources. AI streamlines composition so B2B marketers can focus on making messaging more effective.
- Scalability. AI-driven content production allows for the creation of large volumes of quality content. That means marketers can scale their efforts and reach broader audiences.
- Enhanced personalization. This may be one of the most exciting aspects of AI-assisted content creation. Data shows that personalization improves engagement, yields higher conversion rates, and strengthens relationships. Algorithms can analyze user behavior, preferences, and demographics to create audience-specific content.
- Consistent tone and brand voice. Every marketing organization needs a style guide. AI-powered content creation tools can incorporate style and voice guidelines to maintain consistency. Consistent tone and brand voice across platforms help build brand identity and recognition.
- Optimized SEO. While SEO doesn’t carry the weight it used to, AI can help B2B marketers target content. AI is well-equipped to identify relevant keywords to increase organic website traffic.
- Content localization. AI-powered translation and localization tools enable rapid multi-lingual content creation.
- Data-driven decision-making. B2B Marketers can use AI to understand content performance, user behavior, and market trends. This data then enables them to optimize content strategies for better results.
- Reduced human error. AI-generated content can be less prone to typos and grammatical mistakes. Often a combination of assistive technology and human review yields the best results.
Putting the Chat Bots to Work
B2B marketing content creators may worry that NLP chatbots are a threat to job security. But the most successful marketing teams will see them as an opportunity rather than a threat.
The best way to approach AI-powered content creation tools is just that: as tools.
Every trade has tools, and content creation is no different. Today, writers have access to a plethora of assistive technologies that can improve their output. Using these tools thoughtfully will make content teams more productive and more effective. And, as a bonus, the work can be more relaxed and enjoyable thanks to AI.
The best B2B marketing content creators will use AI-generated copy as a starting point. These tools can capably handle idea generation, research, and data-driven customization. That means writers can focus on delivering the most impact with every piece of content. Hand off mundane tasks to a robot assistant. Then spend your writing time, well, writing!
There is also plenty of AI help available for the actual task of writing. Tools like Grammarly (which also incorporates NLP) and Hemingway are incredible writing assistants. They can help with spelling and grammar, voice, tone, and even style. In the hands of a skilled professional, these tools result in a highly polished output.
A Case Study
As an example of how AI might fit into a content creation workflow, let’s look at how this blog post came to be.
We started with the idea. We knew we wanted to write an article about AI content creation, and we wanted AI to help write it. So we headed over to OpenAI‘s ChatGPT-4 NLP model.
This post is about 1,150 words long; roughly 25 percent of it was generated by AI assistance. A couple of simple queries generated the lists above that enumerate the process and benefits of AI content generation. We edited the lists for style and content before incorporating them into the article.
The first draft was completed in Hemingway, an application that flags style and readability issues. After completing the first draft, we moved the copy into a Google Doc and ran the Grammarly plugin. Grammarly is a fantastic AI-powered proofreading tool that checks for style and tone problems as well as grammar errors.
The final steps in the content creation process are the same for all articles. After the writer makes a final proof, the draft goes to at least one other person for additional review and editing, if necessary.
Embracing The Future
The future trajectory of B2B marketing content creation is being set today. And AI-powered tools will play a—likely disruptive—role in how that future unfolds.
Even so, content creators shouldn’t resist AI content creation.
Creators who embrace the new generation of assistive technology will thrive. Artificial intelligence, natural language processing, and similar technologies can unleash creativity and productivity for B2B marketers who are ready to engage with them. Those who remain anxious about potential disruption may find themselves left behind.
Want to explore the future of B2B social media marketing? Let’s talk!